For more information regarding COVID-19, visit the Department of Health's information page:
Home arrow News & Events arrow The Majlis Menace arrow Paralysed by a PORK CHOP
Paralysed by a PORK CHOP Print
A father-of-two today told how he almost died after eating an under-cooked pork chop.
Darren Ashall, a plant operator from Lancashire, UK, developed a potentially lethal brain bug that has left him in hospital for nearly five months.
The 46-year-old cannot walk and still struggles to communicate. However, doctors told him he is lucky to be alive after listeria meningitis attacked his immune system and left an abscess on his brain.
He first fell ill after cooking two pork chops on a caravan stove while working away from home in Birmingham.
He said: 'I thought one of the chops wasn't cooked properly. I regretted eating it straight away. I knew it was a mistake.
'A month later I went to hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. After three days, my face started drooping on one side and people thought I was having a stroke.
'I was treated for that, but nothing helped.'
Darren had picked up the listeria bug, which can lay dormant for up to 70 days. He first visited Chorley and South Ribble Hospital on February 11 but was initially sent home.
He returned two days later after his condition worsened and he was checked into intensive care. His wife Paula, 43, and sons Sam, 19, and Jack, 21, kept a bedside vigil as he deteriorated.
Darren was left completely paralysed and was even placed on a ventilator to help him breathe.
< Prev   Next >

SANHA Mailing List

 SANHA Mailing List Subscribe

      Twitter      Instagram
This website is powered by NET31